Ask Your Question

power flow

asked 2014-07-08 07:57:28 -0500

riteh gravatar image


How can I set the excess energy of power plant (power flow) to flow through a particular branch.

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by ยป oldest newest most voted

answered 2014-07-09 17:37:20 -0500

jconto gravatar image

What you want is desirable but not possible. Power flow from a generator gets 'distributed' among all direct branches connected to it. The power flow at these direct branches will get distributed again among the secondary branches connected to these direct branches and so on and so on. The contribution in power from the generator to a particular branch can be calculated using the concept of generator shift factors. Solve the power flow and take note of the generator power output and the power flow at the particular branch. Next, increment the generator output by one MW and solve the load flow and check the new power flow in the particular branch. The delta in power flow at the particular branch is the generator shift factor for that generator on that particular branch. Now, if the generator output increases by 50 MW, multiply it by its 'shift factor' to calculate the incremental power flow at the particular branch. This process assumes a linear relationship when scaling power, not true in a real network. On a related subject, other tools to maintain a desired power flow on a branch is using a phase shift transformer, a back-to-back dc tie, a variable frequency transformer or a UPFC.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Your Answer

Please start posting anonymously - your entry will be published after you log in or create a new account.

Add Answer

[hide preview]

Question Tools


Asked: 2014-07-08 07:57:28 -0500

Seen: 1,605 times

Last updated: Jul 09 '14